Saturday 4 April 2015

The Best Days of Your Life?


Do you remember that horrible, sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach just before gym class? Were you the kid no one wanted on their side for team sports?

Then you're not alone.

My memories of gym (or P.E.) whilst I was at school are mostly negative. I have never been gymnastic and whilst I could climb trees, swim like a fish and play rounders none of this mattered when it came to being made to perform exercises (such as forward rolls or vaulting the horse) in front of 30 pairs of (what felt like) scornful, judging eyes - not helped by the sarcastic, unsupportive language being used by the teacher.

When I had my own children I made a vow to ensure that they would, if at all possible, not suffer this humiliating treatment. To do my part I enrolled them, as soon as they were old enough, in Tumble Tots (baby gymnastics) and as they got older I moved them along to gymnastics classes.

So far this seems to have done the trick - they are both very confident in their approach to gym and are able to take any positive criticism from their coaches in their stride.

In a way, their ability to deal with this has helped me to lay my gym ghosts to rest and reassures me that I seem to be approaching this parenting job the right way.

1 comment:

  1. I too was hopeless at gym and gym teachers were always a sarcastic bunch ! I made sure that Alex did gym club from an early age and he took to it very well. It's funny how it often takes another generation to bury childhood embarrassments once and for all x

    ReplyDelete