Monday 28 September 2015

Places that I Love to Visit #1 Weald and Downland Open Air Museum



Harvest Display in the ground floor of the Market Hall from Titchfield

We have been regular visitors to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum recently. There are so many things to do and see there and, as members, we are able to take part in the majority of special events without extra charge. I have also found it a wonderful place to visit whilst I am recovering from my recent operation as the setting is quite beautiful with level paths through mixed woodland, meadows full of wildflowers and insect life and interesting activities to learn about. As well, there are lots of places to sit and admire the views, a cafe close to hand and easy to access facilities - which are useful when you have limited mobility.

The Twitten next to the house from Walderton

As I walked slowly through one of the meadows admiring the flowers last week, Swifts swooped around me as they chased insects during a break on their way south to Africa. I was able to study them and it seemed to me as though they had a special joy in the way they steeply banked and turned, skimming just above the heads of the flowers as they sought their supper.

Wildflower Meadow

'Young' Old Man's Beard

Hops ready for harvest

 Later, on our way past Bayleaf house, I saw that the rose bush I had photographed just a couple of months ago was now covered in rosehips and, in the fieId the other side of the fence June saw the stable cat curled up asleep in long grass. 






No comments:

Post a Comment