Friday 26 May 2017

Thoughts from the Shower #12


I've just seen the new Alien film and I was thinking, 'If there'd been a sofa available in the cinema screen, I'd have hidden behind it!' and I'm a veteran of the saga.

The first time I watched 'Alien' was at home, in the lounge, with my Dad. We both started out on the sofa, however around the time Kane bit the dust, I found myself behind the sofa, leaning on it's back and ducking behind for the scariest parts - asking my Dad, 'Is it safe to look?'. Unfortunately for me, he hadn't seen the film before either, so there were a few nasty surprises!

So my thought is - what did people hide behind before sofas?

Is it perhaps that the need to dive behind a sofa for 'protection' from scares/horror is a phenomenon of our smaller screens at home? I mean, has listening to a tale of suspense on the radio ever elicited a similar response?


2 comments:

  1. I have no doubt radio has had the same effect, particularly in America with Orson Welles famous broadcast of War of the Worlds causing such controversy and tragedy.

    ReplyDelete