Tuesday 16 June 2015

30 Days Wild in June : Days 13 - 15 Roses, Bees and Ducks





We have had another really hectic weekend and I am actually quite amazed that we have managed to do as much outside as we have!

I found time to wander around the garden and enjoy our roses, all of which were planted by the people who lived here before us. Most of them are scented and the large deep red one especially has a very heady perfume. I felt very refreshed after this.







Sunday was particularly busy, with family members involved in several different events, so I was pleased to be able to get outside to enjoy the garden at all. I took these photos late in the afternoon and think that I managed to find several different types of bee gathering nectar, these are the only two that we have managed to identify (so far!). I have provided the information on each photograph.

Early Nesting Bumblebee on Hedge Woundwort

White Tailed Bumblebee on Geranium




June and I went for a walk in the early evening to post a letter to my brother in Australia and found some wild strawberries just behind the postbox. We were both amazed - I haven't seen any in years - and June told me how much the small animals like mice and voles would like them :)


After this excitement we went and checked on the ducklings at the village pond. As you can see, they are fully fledged now. Last year was a bit of a disaster as there was a heavy frost a week or so after the eggs hatched, fortunately the weather this year has been much better and altogether 10 ducklings (out of 14) have reached adulthood.






No comments:

Post a Comment