Friday 19 June 2015

I Made a Bag!

It's June's birthday today and tomorrow will be her birthday party.

She decided  a couple of weeks ago that she was going to dress up as Peter Rabbit (based on the CBeebies show character Peter Rabbit) and wanted a bag like Peter's. I searched high and low for one to buy and as tomorrow grew closer I realised that I was going to have to make one.

I have never made a bag before! I have made dresses and trousers and even a pair of dungarees but never a proper, fully lined bag with a strap.

I went out shopping on Wednesday and called in to a haberdashery I know and had a look at their remnants table. Unfortunately none of the materials were the right colour and I was just about to think I was out of luck when I happened to notice a large bolt of cotton/linen mix cloth on the racks which looked just the right colour. Not knowing what pattern I was going to use I bought 1 metre of the fabric (it later turned out that I only needed about an eighth of that quantity!), found a matching cotton thread and went home pleased that I had at least got material the right colour.

That evening I sketched a couple of ideas out, using the bag on June's Peter Rabbit as a guide. However, I was still no nearer to figuring out how to get the strap firmly attached, or how to make sure that the bag would last more than a day's play.

Fortunately a good friend recommended this pattern Reversible Mini-Messenger Bag which I ran up last night and here are photos of the work in progress:





Here is the finished item:



I am really pleased with it (I'm already planning on making a bigger one for me!) but, most importantly of all, June absolutely loves it :) Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment